06 Apr 2012
In recent times reports have appeared in the media alleging that Law Association funds have been misappropriated. These reports are unauthorised and contain a great deal of misinformation and speculation.
The Council of the Law association confirms however that there is a situation at hand regarding the Accounts of the Law Association and that this situation is under investigation. The Council has appointed an Emergency Audit Committee comprised as follows:
1. Hon Mr. Justice (Ret) Roger Hamel-Smith (External to Council)
2. Mrs. Deborah Peake SC (External to Council)
3. Mr. Prem Samodee (External to Council)
4. Mr. Haran Ramkaransingh (Council Member)
5. Ms. Sophia Vailloo (Council Member)
6. Ms. Theresa Hadad-Maraj (Council Member)
The mandate of this Emergency Audit Committee is as follows:
(1) To carry out a detailed review of the accounts and to confer with the Auditor in order to finalise the accounts for the financial year commencing on the 1st February, 2011 and ending the 31st January,2012; and
(2) To recommend any action which ought to be taken in light of the findings, consequent on the said investigation; and
(3) To report firstly to the Council and ultimately to the Membership onthe management of Law Association funds for the financial year ending the 31stJanuary, 2012.
The Council advises that the investigation is being undertaken on an urgent basis. The Council further acknowledges its responsibility to administer the funds of the Law Association in keeping with best accounting practices, and to report forthrightly to the Membership on its governance.
Dated this 6th day of April 2012
By Order of the Council